Marsh & McLennan Agency
Marsh & McLennan “provides innovative and individually tailored cost reduction strategies and tactics in all of the functional elements of group benefit plans, including: Health Care Cost Reduction; Proprietary Benchmarking Tools for all Group Benefits; Utilization Analysis and Financial Analysis; Total Health & Wellbeing; Health & Welfare Regulatory Compliance Consulting; Bestin-Class Employee Communication; Voluntary Group Benefits Design & Implementation; Group Benefit Billing and Claim Problem Solving. Providing world-class resources with a local touch, we also provide our clients access to compensation consulting, international benefits, and risk management expertise.”
The Michigan Health & Benefits team of Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC (also referred to as MMA Michigan) is comprised of highly-engaged, health conscious employees who are looking not only to improve their own health status but that of their clients.
As an employee group benefits firm, they have been building their internal and client-facing wellness practices over time. But, as market trends move from standalone wellness programs to a new view that sees employee wellbeing as a core business strategy, they proactively expanded their team and their service model in 2016 to include a Director of Total Health & Wellbeing. They defined their total health & wellbeing vision as, “to strengthen the health & prosperity of the communities they live and work in by supporting the development of health supportive cultures.”
Since joining their team, Susan Bailey has expanded their approach. She has:
- Partnered with their HR Director to review the existing employee program and identify areas of improvement
- Gathered input from and partnered with their client service teams on how to best incorporate wellbeing into clients’ business and people management strategies
- Developed and delivered workshop content to HR professionals
- Beta-tested strategy development processes with several clients
- Supported wellbeing and tactical discussions with a number of clients, thereby enhancing client retention
- Began building a database of trusted vendors and streamlined the RFI/RFP process
- Established and implemented their mission of helping clients achieve their broader organizational priorities by facilitating the development of a strategic approach to caring for their employees.
Ultimately this positive change is both inward facing (for their employees) and outward facing (for their clients) and has been enacted by responding to a need that their employees, clients and leadership all identified as having value.
MMA Michigan’s advice is “to lead by example and engage your employees in the process.” They also suggest “take[ing] the time to listen to employees and their suggestions regarding how they can better cater to their specific wellbeing needs.”